Instead of limiting rooibos to a hot or cold beverage, today rooibos has become such a versatile product that today it is common to see rooibos skincare, pet-care products and more. Rooibos is ideal in food preparation as it complements the natural flavours of food and helps to intensify them. Known to be a natural tenderises too, this makes using rooibos ideal for marinades of meats and chicken.
Adding rooibos to your cooking will boost the nutritional value of foods and drinks because of its mineral content base. Rooibos contains several essential minerals our bodies need, such as calcium, potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc and sodium, as well as the trace elements copper and manganese. The flavonoids and tannins in Rooibos are proven antioxidants that help the body fight free radicals.
So without further ado, here is a new rooibos lentil recipe that you can try out. This dish is diabetic-friendly too.
Photo and recipe courtesy of Pharma Dymamics.
ROOIBOS LENTIL BOBOTIE
- 2 tsp (10 ml) olive or canola oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 200 g (1 medium) sweet potato, in the skin, coarsely grated
- 4 tsp (20 ml) each curry powder and ground cumin
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground coriander
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground turmeric
- 1 cup (250 ml) uncooked brown lentils
- 2 cups (500 ml) strong Rooibos tea
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) raisins (optional)
- 8 tsp (40 ml) red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
- lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup (250 ml) buttermilk
- 4 small bay leaves
- ¼ cup (60 ml) flaked almonds
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and fry onions, ginger and garlic until soft. Add sweet potato and spices and fry until aromatic. Reduce heat.
- Add lentils and tea and cover with a lid. Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until lentils are cooked. Preheat the oven to 180 ˚C.
- Add raisins (optional), vinegar and salt. Season with lemon juice and pepper. Spoon into an oven dish.
- Mix eggs and buttermilk and season with pepper. Pour on top of the lentil mixture. Place bay leaves in the egg mixture and sprinkle with almond nuts.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.
Serve with green veggies, like broccoli or spinach, or a salad. Bobotie is delicious with a chunky salsa of cucumber, tomato and fresh herbs.
Substitute sweet potato with butternut, if preferred.